The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

No Time. No Energy. Plenty of Excuses.

Okay, okay. I know. It's been 2 entire weeks since my last post. But in all fairness, I did write ALL DAY LONG last time. I deserved a break. I hope none of my fans got bored and went searching for more interesting blogs to follow.

So here are just a few of my excuses:
1. I was REALLY sick and didn't have the energy to take care of my family, let alone write about it.
2. Even though I was sick, the world didn't stop turning, which I find deeply offensive. So I still had plenty of responsibilities to keep me busy.
3. Too much keeps happening and it's piling up and it gets too overwhelming, so I put it off for yet another day.
4. My normal blogging time is after bedtime, which also happens to be my showering time, my reading time, my scrapbooking time, and sometimes my exercise time. I've had to prioritize (reading won).

So why don't I give a QUICK update (Robben is napping, therefore this is my alternate shower time)...

*We got the lizard and named him Rex (as in T-Rex). He's BIG, but luckily not all that creepy. I took pictures of him, but that will have to be for another time. So far he is not too neglected. He gets fed daily (chicken, eggs, porkchops, etc), but not really played with a whole lot yet, which I think suits his fancy just fine.

*Track is still going strong, and Tyler has found a new passion. He is driven, as Todd describes it, to get better every day. His current PR (personal record) is 11'-0", which was Todd's PR as a Freshman. There are still 2 months left in this season, so Tyler's goal is to beat dad's record. I think his goal for the season was 11'-6", but I'm pretty sure he has upped it to 12'-0" or 12'-6". Wesley is at 10'-6", but he's not as serious as Tyler. Honestly, we've never seen Tyler this into anything before.

*The girls have found a job. Elissa needed money to pay back some debts (lest cronies come after her kneecaps), so they set up a lemonade stand last week. They made $35!!! The next day they added tea cookies to the menu, but I think they forgot to add the sugar. Luckily, they're cute, 'cause people were payin' 50 cents a piece for those cookies!

*Business finally hit a lull for us (I use the term "us" very loosely). Todd was home for 2 weeks, but work is picking back up now. He has a big job coming up and I've taken 3 calls already today. So keep your fingers crossed that we're on the upswing.

*I suffered a moment of weakness last weekend. We went into an SPCA adoption center and came out with a new pooch. Well, technically. We are not yet in possession of said pooch, but she does bear the last name Hiester. They were calling her Sweety, but we've renamed her Lily. She has to get spayed, so I'm just waiting for a call saying I can come get her. I'm not even sure what day it will be! So since my last post we've managed to acquire a lizard and a dog. And I'm proud to report that we haven't lost any!

*Robben is getting his Easter pictures taken this afternoon. I wanted to do 15 month pics, but the entire month was a bust. First there was pneumonia, then we were in Kansas, and since we've been home, he manages to get bumps, bruises and scabs all over his face and head. That's not even including the chapped rash all over his chin from the CONSTANT drooling (man those teeth take their time coming in!!!). So I just decided that this is it, dang it. If you can see the marks on his head in the pictures, then by golly, that's just the way it is right now!!!

*The main scabbing on the baby's face and head came from his first skateboarding accident. Daddy was pulling him around on the mountainboard and he fell off. He cried, but not because he was hurt. He was just upset about not being on the board anymore! He has also taken to pushing the 3 girls around the living room on a skateboard. Last week he was pushing Ally and the board tipped back, spilling her onto the floor. He walked around, assessing the situation, then pulled mightily on her hair to try to get her back up and on the board. :) :) :)

*Robben has also started riding forward in the car in a big boy car seat. He looks around proudly. The best part: he dances almost the whole time! When Daddy puts on his loud screaming music, Robben throws his head forwards and back (in a head-banging motion). Sometimes he even works his mouth like he's lip singing. The next step is to teach him to hold his hands up in fists as he head bangs :)

*We took the whole family to a Christian concert Sunday night. There were 5 bands, they played for 3 1/2 hours, and it was only $10 per person. It was really cool. The SaveMart Center was packed to the gills. They said there were over 13,000 people there. It was awesome. Afterwards, we told Wesley, Ally and Amy to meet us at Carrows. Then we got stuck in the parking lot. Literally. We didn't move a single inch in 20 minutes! And it was like 9:45, so we just left the car and walked across the street to the Doghouse Grill. We couldn't reach the other kids to tell them the change in plans, so we just waited to get a call from them. We never did! After we ate, we went over to Amy's and waited there. They finally showed up at about 10:45, still hungry. And it was a school night. Ally said she was surviving on her own swallowed spit. Better than someone else's, I'd say. Anyway, we had a good time, and everyone managed to get up on time Monday morning.

If I don't scram now, who knows when I'll get a shower!

1 comment:

  1. I love that Robben pushes the girls around on the board! I can just picture his precious face all lit up! I wanted to go to that concert soooo bad *pouty face*, I am so glad you guys had fun. Call me when Lily comes home so we can come see her, have a great week! :)
    Tara

    ReplyDelete