The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The All-Inclusive Chez Perez

A review of one of the most glamorous and sought-after all-inclusive resorts of the midwest: Chez Perez. This patron was highly impressed. The amenities and hospitality are surpassed by none. The owners of Chez Perez, a young married couple, treat you like family (only without the drama) and find little ways to make you feel like you are their highest priority. When you book your stay, the lady in charge asks for your favorite foods and activities. Then arrangements are made to provide you with exactly what you requested. They even place items around your suite to make you feel at home (only without all the responsibility).

I notified Lyndsay, the "mother" of the house, of my desire for bagels & cream cheese, French Onion Sunchips, Wheat Thins, CheezIts, Redvines and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. In addition to a lovely gift basket with all of my favorite treats, she managed to procure a beautiful wedding portrait of my husband and myself to place beside my bed.
The bed itself was AMAZING and is beyond description. In an effort to convey the glory of this bed, I have devoted an entire article to it. For further information, please see the post titled "A Piece Of Heaven."
Across the hall from the suite I stayed in is a lovely little room designed and furnished for the future children of the owners of Chez Perez. They've gone with a beach/ocean scene. Lyndsay painted the mural on the wall and during my stay we perused the aisles of Babies R Us to find some crib bedding that might suit the room.
Unfortunately, I failed to get photos of the rest of the downstairs of the establishment. It has a beautiful common room where the couple entertains guests with movies, tv and junk food; a glorious dining hall where guests enjoy the meals prepared by the on-site chef, Luis; and a fully stocked kitchen that is available for guests to use at their whim. One of my favorite features of the kitchen was this brick accent wall, complete with one of the most charming clocks I've laid eyes on. My husband would love this piece and it would fit perfectly in our own home, but I have a feeling it's a one-of-a-kind.
There is a stairway in the main hall that leads to the master suite - the area of the house that is reserved specifically for the owners. At the bottom of this staircase is a door, which not only marks this as private quarters, but also provides safety measures for any babies that might be visiting.
At the top of the staircase is a long hallway with lots of framed pictures. As mentioned above, the patrons of Chez Perez decorate the place in such a way that makes the guest (in this case, me) feel very important and ... Loved. I prefer to call this "the Hiester hall." Notice the many pictures of my wedding and family.
The entire second story of Chez Perez is the master suite. This is a dream bedroom in my opinion. There is plenty of storage, a sitting area, and most importantly - and most coveted - PRIVACY!!
Check out the amazing wedding photo of the owners, Lyndsay & Luis. They were married on a beach in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, and were given this 24"x 36" framed portrait as a gift.
As previously stated, Luis is the gourmet chef in charge of all meals. One day, before heading off to work (he's a chiropractor), he prepared a scrumptious lunch of beef stew. This was not just any beef stew. This was the best beef stew I have ever enjoyed. Robben, Lyndsay & I devoured it, and continued to munch on it for days to come.
Another day he provided a take and bake pizza, custom ordered. See, Lyndsay doesn't do vegetables, so he pleased us both with half supreme and half meatlovers.
And for my final night, he prepared prime rib, potatoes and asparagus with hollandaise sauce. It was finished off with warm black cherry pie. He began the preparations for this particular meal 2 DAYS before we actually ate it! All things considered, I'd say I ate like a queen!!!
Beyond the resort, Lyndsay and Luis are more than willing to show you around town, go for walks, scout out coffee shops, and even entertain your baby for you. Not only is this a service provided, but it seems to be something the nice young couple enjoys.
In addition to playing with Robben so that I could grab a shower (in my own private bathroom, by the way), they also pushed the stroller on walks so I could enjoy a locally-purchased chai, took him to a park and let him enjoy the slide, and found a place for him to observe some ducks (another luxury to make him feel at home).
When he was a screaming baby, Luis found the cure: his very own Starbucks cup.

At the resort, there is a wonderful foot-massaging machine for your personal use, but if you'd like further services, Lyndsay will make arrangements for that in the nearby city of Hays, KS.
She took me to a delightful place cleverly called Salon Ten o Seven (it's clever because the street address is 1007 something-or-other). The ground floor has brick walls and wood floors and is dedicated primarily to merchandise and hair stylists. The pampering takes place in the basement. I received a pedicure in a small room designed to look like a cave, with low light, rocky walls and interesting sculptures.
After the badly-needed pedicure, I was treated to a full-body massage that began with a jaunt in the steam room and a sea salt scrub. Pictured below is the massage room.
During my services, Lyndsay took Robben to the park, the mall, and to visit Luis at his office (he has an office in Hays as well as Larned). Babysitting service... can't beat that.
After the trip to the spa - and after getting cleaned back up - we headed to a local brewery called Gella's. Again, the decor was brick, wood concrete and steel, a style much appreciated by myself and my husband. The beauty of this brewery: they serve patrons of all ages! Don't worry, he's only drinking milk :)
Just before heading home, Lyndsay & Luis took me to the mall in Wichita to do some last minute shopping. I found Robben a couple of cute outfits, but also wanted to find souvenirs for the other kids. We weren't sure where to look for "Kansas" stuff, but thought we'd give the mall a quick look before deciding to settle for an airport gift shop. With about 10 minutes before closing, we managed to find this store!! I have a feeling God plunked it down right then and there when I needed it. The shopkeeper was a sweet grandma who stayed open long enough for me to find something for everyone.
And the final touch of Chez Perez: an airport shuttle service. Not only did they drive me there, but Luis entertained Robben while Lyndsay made the best of our last few minutes together. They stayed until I was safely checked in and checked over (through security). Lyndsay cried big tears at goodbye... I'm hoping to see her again VERY soon.

Over all, Chez Perez is an AMAZING resort. The only drawback was having to leave. The Perez couple makes Larned, Kansas the ultimate vacation destination for any time of the year. If you have a connection with these wonderful people, I strongly suggest a getaway to their establishment. If you don't have a friend like this, GET ONE!!!
Review by Marianne Hiester

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, everyone needs a friend like Lyndsay! I am glad you had such a great time! I feel like anywhere but California would be heaven, I always said I was born in the wrong state!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you did not want to come home!!! Sounds heavenly. What awesome friends. It sounds and looks like you had such a great time. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. Loved all the pictures. I am glad your back :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete