The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

When Life Hands You Lemons, Make Lemonade

Or better yet, when Mommy puts you in your room, eat cookies!!
And that's exactly what he did. This afternoon, Robben was playing with a truck in the living room and he started screaming. I told him that we don't scream, but he kept on, so I told him he'd have to play with his truck in his room. At first there was even more screaming, but then he quieted down. As any mom knows, this is not always a good sign! I went in about 5 minutes later and found that Robben had gone through his diaper bag and found his box of animal crackers. He dug it out, ripped the box open, tore the plastic bag apart and dumped out all the cookies. He was sitting in the middle of the pile and just chowin' down. He looked up at me and gave me a big ol' cookie-filled smile. I couldn't help but laugh. What else could I do? The little man was so proud of his resourcefulness! I must admit, so am I :)

3 comments:

  1. I always wondered what would happen if you gave a 1 year old a time out. :)) He is so so cute and looks just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well these are some really cute photos!! That is such a funny story and I can see how all you could do was laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jill! Most people say he looks like my husband, but a precious few see a little bit of me in him :)

    ReplyDelete