The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tidbits

Hah!!! 3 Followers! It's almost time to have the T-Shirts made!!!

If you recall, I mentioned that Ally is unafraid to ask the "blonde" questions. Well, a common trait among the children of our family, save Tyler, is to respond to any question with the first answer that comes to their mind. Then we all, including the person who spoke, get a good laugh at the randomness (I know that's not a word) of explanations in their minds. So here's the latest: The other night we had hamburgers for dinner and Kurstin's was slightly pink inside (don't worry, it was cooked - probably about medium). So we were discussing the various temperatures of cooked meat (yes, we talk about these sorts of things in our family) and Wesley wonders aloud why red meat is called "rare". Ally quickly responds with, "Probably because meat is usually brown so it is "rare" to find meat that is red." Silence... Crickets chirping... wild laughter.

Another lesson I learned yesterday: The toilet should be flushed EVERY TIME. Naturally, I do flush after every use, however, others in the family don't find it to be necessary. Yesterday, Robben wanted to unroll the toilet paper, which I have allowed once as an exploratory activity. Well, I certainly don't want this to become a habit, so yesterday I told him "no, no." Which he respected and took like a big boy. But being the resourceful baby that he is, he reached into the toilet to retrieve the toilet paper that was floating there. Thank God Mommy is always near, because anything in Robben's hands ends up in Robben's mouth! I choose to believe that that piece of toilet paper was not used in the traditional way!

Last night Todd and I went to a Jewel concert. She is so awesome!!! It was up at Table Mountain, so it was a small venue and it was ACOUSTIC!!! There is no better way to hear her, other than sitting down over coffee somewhere, just the two of us, but how could that ever happen??? This was my fourth time seeing her, and I think she gets better every time. I'll tell you this, her albums don't do her justice. I don't think I've ever heard a more beautiful or diverse voice. She can do SO MUCH with what she has. And on top of it all, she's a good person. I just love her... and I just found out she's going to be on Dancing With The Stars, as is her husband, Ty Murray. I normally don't watch that show, but I'll watch as long as she's on.

2 comments:

  1. You always have great stories to tell. Makes my life seem boring. The concert sounded great! Okay, so when are you going to put a picture on your post?
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about Dancing with Stars! I was hoping you had heard about it as I know you don't have much time to watch TV. I'll be pinned to the TV for sure. AND, I was ALMOST able to go to that concert. I also wondered if you were going. On this I was more certain because I know you've driven farther to see her. Thanks for letting us know it was awesome. Wish I'd been there too :)

    ReplyDelete