The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Your Questions Answered

I want to thank my loyal followers... all 4 of you. But most importantly, I want to let Amy and Anne know how much their comments mean to me. I can't tell you how nice it is to get a response from you two on just about every blog I post. I love reading your feedback. Plus, having my thoughts and words acknowleged is such a refreshing experience... unlike my daily life at home :)

Both of my little responders have asked a few questions, so I'll take the time here to answer:

Amy asked if Wesley was okay after his spill out of bed. The answer is yes. He came out with a long bruise across his rib cage/chest, and he is able to laugh about now with the rest of us.

Amy asked when I am going to put pictures up. Well, my new friend Tina (Papa Tim's ladyfriend) knows all about computers. THANK GOD!! This family has lived in the dark ages for long enough... we finally have someone to guide us into the light! She is going to make it so my computer will allow me to post pictures. Don't ask me how. I think it involves wine and whispered sweet nothings. She's coming over tomorrow, so hopefully very soon! Stay patient, dear one :)

Amy asked if all of Robben's booms and spills happened in one day. Yep. Every day!

Anne wants to know the origin of Robben's new word. One day, Robben's teacher, Christine, and I decided to teach him the hard "c" sound and tried with the word "car". We were outside in the field and he was watching the occasional car drive by. Unfortunately, a lot of his words start out backwards. So he put the hard "c" at the end, saying "ock". The sad misfortune came about when we corrected him, teaching him to put the "c" first. He has yet to remove it from the end :) He's doing better. We congratulate him every time he says anything close to "ca...". Now "cock" not only represents car, but also truck, walk and duck... and probably some others that I can't think of at the moment.

Anne also wants to know why Todd wants a bull and not something more practical like a horse, some chickens or some goats. Todd has a passion for bulls, an unhealthy one by some standards. He is fascinated with them. We actually pull over when we see a pen of bucking bulls. How he can tell, I don't know. I know more about computers than bulls :) But one of his dreams is to own a bull as a pet one day. I tell him that as long as we have children that fit underneath a bull, we won't have a bull. Now, as far as the other animals go, don't think they haven't been considered. Kurstin is desperate for a horse, but we know even less about horses than bulls or computers. We are notorious for animal neglect, and I am unwilling to subject a creature as respectable as a horse to the Hiester family. If I knew how to take care of one, or had someone willing to do it for me, I'd certainly consider it. Chickens I find to be stinky, and more importantly, I don't want to find mine dead in the road in front of my house. As for goats, we actually have a neighbor who has offered us 7 pygmy goats, but we have to figure out how to pen them in. Todd got all excited (yippee! another set of animals to neglect!) and went out to build a fence, but then realized how much it would cost. He has put it on the back burner for now, but I did run into the neighbor at Costco last weekend and she said her husband may be willing to give us the pen, too. Of course, my first question was "why do they want to get rid of the goats?" Not to worry, it's just that they're moving into town and therefore will no longer have lodging for the animals. So the poor things might have to come live with us. If you want to know how bad we are with our animals, ask our ducks, Quack and Waddle...they're out in the rain right now, but miraculously, they're not getting wet. Hmm.

Anne asked what kind of lizard we're getting. It's called an Argus Monitor. I'll see if I can figure out how to put a link up so you can see the monstrosity- I mean the precious little guy. When it comes to live here (OUTSIDE) I'll take some pictures to post.

And Amy asked what I got for Valentine's Day. I got a new Cricut - a scrapbooking machine thing that I can't live without, and my old one died a couple of weeks ago... I think Robben had something to do with it. And I'm not the only one who can't live without it. It was imperative that I get it NOW, because science fair is next week. I also got a thing-a-ma-jig that makes my iPod play through the car stereo.

And though no one asked (it was probably an improper question), my candle toe is purple.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering all my questions! I am sorry your candle toe is purple. I can't wait to see pictures of your lizard. I should just come out to your house and see it in person. What great gifts for Valentines Day. I got nothing but that is okay because we are celebrating our anniversary and Valentines Day by going out of town to Hollywood this weekend. It was great reading another post from you. I always enjoy reading them.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. MaryLou, I feel for you and your toe. I once dropped an enormous can or chili on mine once, I think I actually broke it! By the way I am SOO jealous you are going out to see Lyndsay!! Please give her a big hug for me!

    ReplyDelete