The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Friday, February 13, 2009

Can I Make Something Out Of Nothing?

I think so... Yesterday, nothing really out of the ordinary happened. Nobody did or said anything of particular interest. But I think I can find a way to make the day seem interesting. That, to me, is the beauty of writing. It forces me to open my eyes and take in all the little mundane things happening around me, so that I have material for my 4 FANS!!! I wouldn't want to disappoint. So here goes...

The day started much like any other Thursday: I went to my bible study. There was one major difference, though. One that may be recorded in the Historical Records of Women's Bible Studies... I was early! I'm typically at least 15 minutes late, but lately it's been more like 45 minutes late. Crazy, I know. I used to be a stickler about being prompt, but I think the time-warp mind frame comes with the last name Hiester. Anyway, yesterday I showed up about 5 minutes early, to the shock and amazement of all. When the other ladies arrived after me, they probably wondered if there was a Daylight Savings time change they had missed. Anyway, there are only 4 of us (+Robben & Anne) and I think we quite enjoy each other. We all have plenty of stories to tell about our kids and spend most of our time together laughing. Every week, Kate (who hosts) makes us muffins - the small kind that you pop 20 of before you realize the irreversible damage you've done. I always think that I wouldn't recognize her house without the wonderful aromas wafting from the kitchen. I always show up STARVING, which is totally selfish and inconsiderate, because I've never contributed to the breakfast treats myself. This week has been a doozy for her, as she has family coming from out of town, wedding plans to help finish, 4 flower girl dresses to alter, and a 10 year anniversary/renewal of vows to prepare for ALL THIS WEEK. Needless to say, there was no wonderful aroma wafting through the house. Not to worry, I just casually grabbed a cup of coffee to trick my tummy and stave off the hunger. All was well (I rummaged through Robben's snacks and snuck a couple goldfish) until there was a lull in the conversation and my stomach issued the deepest, longest, loudest growl I think I've ever experienced in my life! I was mortified that my little secret was out. We all laughed as Kate offered me a bagel with cream cheese. I turned it down, but only out of politeness! I'm so sorry, Kate!

After bible study I went to lunch with Robben, as usual, and then to run some errands, as usual. Poor baby. Anytime I go in to town, we end up driving around ALL day. So by the time we were ready to check out at Target, he was DONE! It was his naptime and he was just plain sick of shopping. He'd been screaming, not like crying, but just expressing himself VERY LOUDLY. So I have to wait in this long line to check out, which is very un-Target-like. Well, a lady comes out to open another register and I see my chance. However, I also see a lady coming from the opposite direction as me, only her cart was full to the breaking point. She seemed to be moving in slow motion as I literally ran, pushing my baby carriage, handbasket swinging precariously from my arm, to get to the register before her. You're going to think I'm making this up, just for something to say, but it's true: I actually RAN OVER the achilles heel of a man waiting rather patiently in his own line. I apologized profusely and he assured me I merely clipped him. He heard the baby and must have understood my haste. And I did beat the lady, who apparently was only walking by in the first place.

And the final point of notable interest for the day (yesteday) is that Robben boomed his poor baby face several times. We are finally using the coffee table for it's intended purpose: as a coffee table. Robben has never had to deal with such an object in the middle of his former play area, so naturally, we started the experience off with a boom. He was walking towards the table and reached for it to lean on and he missed and fell forward, booming his little baby cheek on the edge. He cried pretty hard and now has a purple line-shaped bruise on his precious cheek. But that was only the first incident, and the lesser of the two. After I left to take Ally to volleyball practice Robben fell again. He was sitting on Daddy's lap and throwing a minor fit about something (this is new). His little tantrums are pretty harmless and involve him throwing his head back. So Daddy was going to let him slide off his lap, like he normally does, but this time, after the throwing back of the head, there was a throwing forward and he slammed face first onto the hardwood floor. He seemed to catch himself with his hands, but his face still hit, resulting in his first-ever bloody nose. I'm glad I missed it. He cried one of those hold-your-breath-for-a-long-time-before-the-screaming-ensues cries. Elissa ran off to her room and cried and Kurstin said over and over, "Daddy, I don't like this." Being the big strong man that he is, Robben hasn't even mentioned the incident to me... he's completely over it (so don't cry for him, Grandma :))

1 comment:

  1. Poor Robben. Did this happen all in one day? I remember my kids going through that stage and having bruises all over. I would of liked to see you running to the check out line at Target. That would have been a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete