The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

How do I do this?

All right. I've been trying to get this blog going for several days now, so I figured I should just write something on the off chance that someone happens upon our spot. Of course, I'm new to all of this. I don't even know what the heck "blog" means. I'll tell you why I'm doing this. I have a friend (hey Anne!) who thoroughly enjoys my emails and newsletters. She always tells me how hilarious I am and that I should share me with the world... ah, who doesn't enjoy a little flattery? But I must admit: I really do enjoy writing about my family, especially when I can make someone laugh! There are days, such as this one, that finding something nice to say about my kids is a must, lest someone's life be in danger.

So Anne but the bug in my ear - she's also to be credited with our title, as she says she loves our "antics". I won't even talk about the book deal she's hoping for... So at first I thought, nah, I haven't time for such ventures. But then I thought about our warm-hearted-but-not-really-that-mature 17-year-old son, Wesley, who talks in his sleep NIGHTLY!; Our brainiac-turned-Edward-Cullen 14-year-old son, Tyler, who's not only brilliant, funny and loyal, but HOT to boot; Our Twilight-obsessed, star athlete, future pro volleyball player/global missionary 14-year-old daughter, Ally, who isn't afraid to ask the "blonde" questions; Our strong-willed, control-freak, "I-wasn't-being-bossy-I-was-just-warning-them-because-someone-was-going-to-get-hurt"-otherwise known as the TYPE A - 11-year-old daughter, Kurstin, who can't tell a story without EVERY MINUTE DETAIL, but none of the important ones; Our thoughtful, sweet, caring, never-wanting-to-hurt-anyone's-feelings 8-year-old daughter, Elissa, who isn't quite so thoughtful, sweet, caring or mindful of feelings when paired with her older sister (the type A); and of course, the oh-so-cute, adored-by-all, best baby in the world (no contest), our 14-month-old son, Robben, who daily amazes us all with his new tricks and words, such as "cock".

All that being said, it was my dear husband Todd who finally convinced me this had to be done... not with his words, but his actions. It was a cold and rainy night. He'd had a long day at work (installing a beautiful custom hardwood floor in a large home that was being remodeled. The owners were not living there at the time, so there was no power. Because of the weather and time of year, it got dark very early, so they pulled the work truck almost INTO the house and shined the high beams in for light). So on his way home, there was a light misting rain, and his truck, a '54 classic, has no windshield wipers (bad fuse). We live way out in the country where there are no street lights, so this was a particularly precarious situation. He drove about 20 miles per hour to the nearest gas station to buy a squeegee... you can feel it coming can't you? The man proceeded the rest of the way home driving with his window down and actually SQUEEGEE-ING the rain from his windshield!!! The 15 minute journey took upwards of an hour! We won't even talk about the cold dinner he came home to.

I didn't see how such incidents could occur and go unnoticed by the world at large. So here we are. The final nail was driven into this coffin that night when Wesley, ever the thirsty child (he seriously is parched at the mere mention of "work"), tried getting out of the top bunk to get a drink and toppled head-over-heels, gashing his ribs on Tyler's bed before crashing onto the stone floor. Hearing the commotion, Todd went to see if something was amiss, only to find that the door was blocked by a heavy object - that would be Wesley. He wasn't sure what was going on, as these episodes usually happen while he's sleeping... the aches and bruises served as a bitter reminder in the morning.

So how could two such incidents take place in such rapid succession if not to provide a sign for me that it is high time we start a blog?!?!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so excited. It is everything I imagined it would be: Beautiful to look at, funny enough to make your sides hurt & as heart warming as chicken noodle soup on a cold rainy day. Can't wait to check it each week to see what you all are up to. Looking forward to you figuring out how to add pictures! Can't help you there...sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very good writer and story teller. I love hearing your stories. Poor Todd, he had to drive home with his window down using a squeegee to wipe his windshield all the way home. That stinks! Is Wesley okay?
    Amy

    ReplyDelete