The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Silly Things That Boys Do

Though it's hard for me to write daily, Robben has been giving me plenty of material lately. He's upping the anty. If all of these other kids hadn't broken me in (well, broken me), I'd probably be stressed and exasperated. On the contrary, I find Robben's mischief quite amusing :)

The other day, Robben was in my room with the door shut. He likes to play with the doors, but once he gets it shut, he has to wait for me to open it. He usually communicates his need for help with an ear-splitting, brain-bleeding scream, but we're working on it. He's finally learning the magic word. Anyway, I went to open the door for him (I was on the outside) and he came out toting a piece of toilet paper... that was still attached to the roll. It trailed from my bathroom, through my room, down the hall and into the living room. I guess it's a testimony to Charmin Extra Strong!

The same morning, Robben was going through my purse. Nothing unusual. Wesley had given me $40 to order Amy's corsage for the prom and I had just shoved it in my purse. Well, apparently Robben dug the money out and was playing with it. Currently, I've only located one of the 20s. I'm sure the other will turn up in some random place like the silverware drawer or somebodies laundry basket.

My little man is developing an affinity for blankets. Anything remotely resembling a blanket can be a recipient of physical affection from my boy. Well the waste basket in his room has a fabric lining. The other day, he removed that lining and came out hugging it and smiling with self-satisfaction. I later learned that the trash was still in it... diaper trash.

This morning in the car, Robben got a little crazier with his dance moves. He now incorporates his arms in a drumming motion. We looked back and his arms were waving, his face in an open-mouthed, pink-cheeked grin. Pure, unadulterated joy.

Also this morning, Robben got into the boys' room. For some reason he loves getting on Tyler's bed. He must know it's destined to be his one day. He exited the room with Tyler's wallet, a chapstick and a bracelet. At first I thought he was engaging in theivery, but upon further investigation I learned that he had practiced fair trade. In place of the items he lifted, he left an American flag on a short stick, his favorite blanket, and a stuffed dog. I suppose that teaches me not to doubt his character!

Wesley reported that there was a wrestling match between the baby and the pooch the other day. Apparently there was a lot of rolling around, drooling and teeth-baring by both parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment