The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Tooth Tragedy

Oh my baby!! He's so sweet and beautiful in so many ways. One of my (and the rest of the family's) favorite features of his are his teeth. Especially the top ones. He has 12 altogether. 4 on the bottom front, 4 on the top front, and 4 molars. Wait, wait. Let me do a recount... I'm sorry, I was mistaken. There are 4 on the bottom front, 3 2/3 on the top front, and 4 molars!

While I was giving him a bath, he was playing with my shampoo bottle. It is the large kind with a pump on top and he had it on the edge of the tub, trying to push the pump down. The bottle slipped, as did Robben, and his face hit the edge of the tub really hard. I yelled and frantically began the search for damage. There was no blood. Initially, I thought he had hit his nose, so I was expecting a bloody nose at the very least. It didn't take a private investigator to solve the mystery. He had hit his mouth, not his nose, and broke off the bottom 1/3 of his precious baby tooth. Top left. His tooth is broken...my heart is broken. I take such pride in those darling little teeth.

Amidst my sorrow and regret, Tyler says Robben looks like Lloyd Christmas (from Dumb and Dumber), and Todd reassured me that he can always get silver teeth!!! My angel boy will NOT have a grill!!! Monday morning, bright and early, we will be beating down the dentist's door. I will update the masses on this delicate situation...

3 comments:

  1. This happened to my friend's 2 year old just last month. The grocery cart tipped over and she was inside. The dentist did end up having to pull the rest of the tooth out because it was dying but they are going to somehow fix it with a regular looking tooth, not a silver one. They don't like to leave a space there because then the permanent teeth do not come in right. So as awful as this is for you, they will be able to fix it somehow. Please update your blog after seeing the dentist on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Robben :( I am glad he is okay though. I remember when Austin was little, he fell off my bed and hit face first. His tooth was loose and ended up dying because of the trauma to the tooth. I understand how it makes you feel sad as a mother. Let us know what happens at the dentist tomorrow.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne, try to look at it from this perspective; once the dentist has fixed the precious tooth with today's leading cosmetic dentistry techniques, you can then proudly proclaim that your son is perfect from top to bottom, thanks to TWO cosmetic procedures before his second birthday!! :D I love you!!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete