The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Delayed Dental Decisions

Well, I have good news and bad news...

Let me back up. I waited until Monday (of last week) to call our regular dentist, Dr. Peter Giorgio. Though he doesn't work on Mondays, he was in the office, so took my call. He recommended we contact a pediatric dentist, as it can be very difficult to work on 1-year-olds. Ha! He's never met my wiggle worm!!! So Tara spent some time researching pediatric dentists in our area. She found the one with the very best reviews (happy kids, happy parents) and gave me his number. (Thanks a million!!!) I called Dr. Jelmini's office and made an appointment for tomorrow - a full week and a half from the incident itself!! So long to agonize! But, in an obvious ploy to earn MY good review, they called me back the next day to tell me they had a cancellation and could see him the following day, which was last Wednesday.

The girls and Robben LOVED the office. There were games and toys and trains and books. My favorite part were the funhouse mirrors near the bathrooms :) And when we left, Robben got a balloon. Robben enjoyed the dentist's office so much that he actually screamed when we left!

So here is the good news: Robben's tooth is definitely repairable.

The bad news: They are going to wait 12 weeks to make sure there is no nerve damage. Dr. Jelmini will go in and make it look just like it did before. But if the tooth starts to discolor, he will know there is something more going on under the surface. In this case he would have to treat the tooth differently. Rather than putting Robben (and our bank account) through two procedures, he is just going to give it some time so all the evidence can come in. His next appointment is on December 8th. What's special or significant about December 8th? That's right! It is AFTER Robben's birthday. So he will get to have his second birthday party with a chipped tooth. Let's not even think about the pictures!! Oh well. Memories, memories. One day they'll be fond :)

And how about a little shout out for Dr. Georgio? He called me the day after we spoke to check up on Robben and make sure we were able to get him seen somewhere!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love Dr. Jelmini!! Macie had to go to him several times for dental work. She was scared of our regular dentist but loved Dr. Jelmini's office. It is definitely kid friendly. I am so happy to hear that Robben's tooth is fixable and sorry that is will be a little bit before they can do it. But at least you will be saving in the pocket book. Thanks for the update :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are going to be able to fix his tooth. I'm sure that as creative as you are you can think of something to help disguise the missing part for the birthday photos. I'm also really happy to see you are posting again, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete