The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Blog Derailed

Soooo, what do you think, should I begin with the usual apologies and excuses, or just cut to the chase? Oh, I have an idea. If you're interested in my justifications and rationalizations for the negligence I have exhibited in relation to the blog, please see former entries. If you've had enough, read on.

Why don't we start with the current happenings... I've been in my baby boy's room trying to get him to sleep. See, he can climb out of bed now, so the napping process is much more complex than in the days of yore. I sat in the rocking chair next to his bed, reading my book and sipping my chai and basically acting as an accountability agent. For a time there was some "hi mommy"-ing, then kisses through the slats and finally he put his "bink" (blanket) over his head and lay down and fell asleep. I softly closed my book and made my way back to the living room to endeavor to recap the summer in the briefest, most descriptive way possible. As I exited Robben's room, I began to smell smoke. A putrid smoke. Rounding the corner of the hallway, I began to SEE the smoke hanging in the air and swirling around the Guitar-Hero-playing-figure that was Tyler. In a panic-stricken voice I exclaimed, "Smoke! Tyler! What's burning? Look at the smoke!" Smart as he is, Tyler is not real speedy, but he jumped up at the realization of the source of the offensive odor. Prior to sitting down with his video game, Tyler had started the process of boiling his toothbrush, because Robben, on one of his little excursions out of bed, had selected it as a good candidate for his own oral hygiene practice. Not wanting baby saliva and dust bunnies on his brush, Tyler elected to sterilize it. Then forgot. Now his toothbrush looks much like a marshmallow that was left roasting over a campfire and dripped from the stick into the sea of dancing flames. I can't even begin to fathom where the bristles went! In any case, we are now one pot and one toothbrush short. And I have a headache from the Oral-B fumes. I had planned to update you on the Hiester Summer, but will have to postpone for fear of brain-cell-loss. A serious condition when you are already running so low and demanding so much of what you do possess!

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear what a post. You are such a good Mom...you just roll with the punches. Hope your headache gets better from the Oral-B fumes. Your way with words is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the most interesting and entertaining things going on in your family. I have never heard of someone burning their toothbrush before,lol. Way to go Tyler! Im so glad nothing else was burnt in result of this situation. Your so funny Marianne, I love reading your post. You write very well and keep your followers entertained :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot tell you how many pots I have ruined boiling something or another and then forgetting it immediately after walking away!! Never a toothbrush though, that is new! Thank goodness smoke detectors are cheap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, the last line of this blog was by far one of the best closing lines I have ever had the pleasure of reading! I might pilfer it :D

    ReplyDelete