The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Monday, May 3, 2010

On Location

Coming to you live from Larned, Kansas...

Robben and I are here in Kansas, visiting our good friends, Lyndsay & Luis and their new baby girl, Sidney. Being the social bug that he is, he stopped to tell each person that we were going to "fly way up high in the 'ky!" as we boarded the plane. On the second flight he actually fell asleep during take-off (MIRACLE!) and didn't wake up till we were making our final descent. Hallelujah :)

Robben is very interested in Baby Sidney. He offers her his trucks when she fusses and tries to soothe her with kisses :) After all, who doesn't want a Robben kiss? What I find to be hilarious is what Robben calls Luis: "Halloweece" :) For some reason, "Luis" just seems like a not-enough word to him.

Sidney is a precious, beautiful little thing. She will be 6 weeks old on Wednesday. When she's sleeping, she looks just like her mama, but when those big eyes open, she's transformed into her own little person. I will be taking LOTS of pictures of her while I'm here, so those will be posted soon and you can all comment on what a beautiful little angel my friends made :)

Today Lyndsay and I took the babes for a walk and let Robben play on a playground for a long time (at least an hour). He had lots of fun and then willingly went down for his nap. On the walk to the park he got to see a crop-dusting plane fly back and forth a bunch of times, which elicited squeals of delight. Poor Lyndsay, a simple walk on a sunny afternoon is quite an endeavor with a newborn, but I think they both enjoyed getting out of the house and getting some fresh air.

Tomorrow its off to Hays, the thriving metropolis of this part of Kansas (almost big enough to have a Starbucks...but not quite). There are a few things she wants to take us to do, but mostly I'm just hoping she gets a little relief from the new-mommy thing and a chance to have some fun. I'm perfectly fine with doing not-a-whole-lot for a week :) It's like a sick-day without having to feel yucky!

Well, I'll get back to my reading before my little man wakes up. I'll check in again soon. Hope everyone in Blogland is doing well...

2 comments:

  1. Jon Marrs familyMay 4, 2010 at 5:00 AM

    Sounds like your having fun! You're very lucky to be able to go. I assume Todd is holding down the fort at home =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that Robben's being a good boy, and that you get a chance to relax.
    I hope that Lyndsay takes this opportunity to rest-it's such an adjustment to add a new, very dependent person to the family. I know you can offer lots of helpful advice and help.
    Have a great time, keep up the blog so we can share with you as the days go by, and see you on Sunday.
    Give "Grandma's baby" lots of kisses for me.

    ReplyDelete