The Hiester Family in a nutshell - a big one, like a coconut or something

We are a family of a whole bunch of random people, thrown together in one small house, who all happen to look alike. Each member of our family was hand-picked by God... that's the only explanation for the saga that is our family. Here's the story from the beginning... My husband, Todd, was married before me. His wife's name was Carrie, and together they had 3 kids: Tyler, Kurstin & Elissa. Todd's parents were divorced and his mother remarried. Her new husband, Don, had 2 small children: Ally & Wesley. Their natural mother was killed in a car accident when they were 8 & 11. One year later, they lost their dad and Todd and Carrie took them into their home. 6 months after Ally & Wesley were added to the household, Carrie died of cancer at age 26. Her own children were 3, 6 & 9 and Ally & Wesley were 10 & 13. And Todd was alone with them. Think Lord of the Flies. So when I fell in love with Todd, I got these 5 kids as a bonus. We married about a year and a half into our relationship, with the kids as our wedding party. We made it all official with an adoption lawyer and lots of money, ensuring that we are LEGALLY their parents. They even had to take oaths saying they would perform the duties of sons and daughters, which I think means I have someone to change my diapers when the time comes! After 2 years of marriage we added Robben Carey to the mix. And now we've welcomed Livi Claire...the seventh, and final, Hiester kid (unless, of course, God has other plans). Todd and I are 37 and 35, respectively, and our kids range in age from 1 to 21. It's great because we're cool and always the youngest in a crowd of high school parents.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

My New Hobby

For Christmas I got a really nice camera. A Nikon. I love taking pictures, and luckily, with all these beautiful people under my roof, there are plenty of opportunities. I also live in what apparently is a wonderland of photo-musts, forcing me to pull over and drag my children out onto the side of the road for some "candids". I pull well off to the side... Here are some of my favorites:

I don't know why, but I just LOVE this picture! Though we are in a really amazing orchard, I think it looks like a winter wood.


This man was outside the gates of the Rescue Mission and was so pleased that somebody, anybody, would stop to take his picture. He thanked me joyfully as he walked away. It never occured to him to even want to see the picture. It spoke volumes to me.

Flowers...

Payton was so patient while I got the picture I wanted. There's a closer shot, but I love her legs and sweater for some reason. And you gotta love the nail polish :)
Looking out my front door

Trying out the new camera; On the ground at church.

One of my favorite locations, a pecan orchard.

Up the hill by our house

My fence on a freezing morning. I was trying to take pictures of the ice crystals and one of our lovable country kitties came to rub her face on the camera.
Today, January 7, 2010, is my 4th wedding anniversary. Todd and I are going up to Yosemite tomorrow and staying at the Tenaya Lodge. This will be a first for us. I'm unnaturally excited about it. And just think of all the amazing photos that are out there to be taken! With any luck, I'll post them next week... here's hoping...

6 comments:

  1. Where are the pictures? I want to see them :) I also got a Nikon. It's a coolpix L100...is that the same as yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Jill! It takes so long to upload out in the sticks, I was still working on it when you commented :) I can always count on you to read my blog! I love it!! I actually got the D3000. It's not a point-and-shoot, it's the kind that you can change the lenses and everything on. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I don't know what to say other than is there anything that you are not extraordinarly talented at? These photos are so good!!! I look forward to seeing the ones from Yosemite!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lyndsay! You know how I love praise :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are amazing!! Is there a talent that you don't posses? Know I now who to call for family pictures :)

    P.S. Still owe you lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so silly, I just noticed my last sentence, it supposed to be "now I know". oops, sorry!

    ReplyDelete